[Public-List] winch upgrade

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Sun Feb 28 06:09:29 PST 2010

Hello folks -

I put a pair of Harken 2 speed 40ST's in SURPRISE (the old Barients went to
the aft pads for use with the spinnaker sheets and guys); I took them in
lieu of pay from Georgian College for doing a lecture to their Marine Tech
school.  Harken winches are the old defunct Barbarossa brand with a new
label on them.  It's a testament to Harken's marketing power that a product
line that withered under its originator's name suddenly became eligible for
premium status with the new name.

With regard to size they are fine; but I don't think they have the tough
quality of other types.  If I were to do it again and choose my own, I would
have chosen Andersen winches.  Two problems with Harken winches are the very
aggressive 'tread' pattern on the drums, which is very hard on rope; the
other is the plastic top jaw of the self tailor.  With regard to the later,
it hasn't broken yet, and may be quite strong enough, but I worry about it.

That said, I think the ball-topped Harken brand winch handles are still the
best around.

Gord SURPRISE