[Public-List] Mast Beam Repair from a Conservator's Perspective

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Mon Jan 11 08:16:34 PST 2010

Michael, count me in as another one waiting in the wings to see how
your project turns out. My Alberg #116 has the original beam with no
aluminum plates. Last year was my first year with her and the beam
seems fine at the moment, but I suspect it is just a matter of time. I
do believe my beam had some additional bracing added at some point,
which may be why it is still intact:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/NdbyKg_T3qIfnqcmdrruag?feat=directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/fongemie/MastBeam?feat=directlink

I think a properly laminated bean of white oak should last at another
40 years, and look good too.

Jeff Fongemie
#116 Seagrass

Jeffery ah yes,

You are the fellow with the ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS A-30 up in Maine. Your boat certainly sets the standard for aesthetics and beautiful bright-work. As I have mentioned before on this list my approach which is shared by others albeit a minority, is to return the beam to its or better original strength without effecting the appearance of the beam.  I should add that in one of my former professional lives I practiced as a fine art Conservator working in both private practice and for Museums across the country.

My schooling and employment as a  professional Conservator of Objects explains my personal approach to caring for my boat. A Museum Conservator does not consider nor have the choice to add foreign materials or technology during the restoration of an artifact. So I have spent a major part of my life "making things whole again without changing their appearance".

An Alberg 30 is different than a Museum artifact which may never be pressed into service again. That is why I have compromised and am considering switching from the original Resorcinol glue to the superior, I believe, Epoxy adhesive. What I hope not to compromise is the original aesthetic/appearance of the interior furniture of the boat.

I have always felt fortunate that I am only the third owner of #133 and that she remains 99 percent as she was when built.  She has escaped the affects of ill advised but good intentions of former owners that many older boats fall prey.  Because she has survived this long without any modification, I feel that it is appropriate and also my responsibility to keep her that way.

So my personal background and character has everything to do with my approach to the mast beam repair. I plan with George's help to carefully document my process so that it can be posted on the Association Web Site.  This way, A-30 owners who are of the same ilk as me can see the details of what I have done.  That is the beauty of what Geroge does for the class association.

Michael #133