[Public-List] Alberg rig Weak Links

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Sun Jan 17 07:55:57 PST 2010

Morning C.B.

Thanks for your direct comments.

Since you drive your boat hard in all conditions, have you installed some type of spreader compression tube in your mast? What is your assessment of the need for this compression tube. Could an owner install some type of reinforcement on the outside of the mast where the spreaders mount?

What are your thoughts about the original cast Aluminum mast head fitting?  Is it strong enough or should an owner consider replacing as Stephen Sousa has designed?

Is the aft stay chain plate adequate?

Michael #133

I suggest that the order of quality to shroud terminals in terms of
quality is :

Best: Sta-loc / Norseman / Hayne fittings truly lock the mire into a
permanant but maintainable lock. Terminal can be reused with new cones.

Better: Swedged terminals - They can fail unexpectedly and due to work
hardening may remain brittle and are subject to the work quality of the
rigger.
Base: Nico Press work well some do not like them as they are not as
attractive and may have the same issues as the swedged terminals.

Based on the assumption for som of you that you could fix the mast beam
- school of thinking - the use of nico press sleevs is fine for another
40 years despite what the experts say.

On Infinity I have replaced all of the nico press sleeves with norsemen

C.B. Currier
Infinity #57
Daybreak #458