[Public-List] Propeller Shaft Material

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Tue Jan 5 11:44:56 PST 2010

Hello -

I have aluminium bronze in 1 1/2" rod in stock; I use it to fabricate
custom large turnbuckle studs and lifeline stanchions.  Alum Bronze is
a particularly hard alloy but that said, I think a 316 grade stainless
shaft will be superior in most aspects including avoidance of galvanic
corrosion and certainly wear.  The Achilles heel of 316 is that it is
relatively brittle compared to galv steel or 304... but hardness and
stiffness is what you want in a prop shaft.  Not malleability, which
is what makes bronze alloys attractive.    If I were having a new
shaft made I would use 316 stainless with no hesitation.

Cheers - Gord

#426 SURPRISE