[Public-List] Mast Beam Repair

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Mon Jan 11 07:21:37 PST 2010

I don't know how much more force/load there would be on an Alberg 30
than a Pearson Triton (~28.5'), but Tim Lackey has made several
laminated wooden beams for the very similar mast-step arrangement on
the Triton.  Several not because they failed, but because he works on
boats for a living, and has done a number of Tritons.

Another Triton, "Dasein," also has a home-made laminated wooden beam.

These were not 2-hour jobs, based on reading the write ups of making
them, but then neither were they insurmountable projects.  Tim has
written up the job in pretty good detail a few times when he's been
doing it.  He has a way to calculate for springback, etc.

If anyone is interested, there is more to be found in a few places:

www.triton381.com --- his first Triton project which is his own boat
www.northernyacht.com --- write-ups of refits he does professionally

I think Nathan (Triton: Dasein) wrote up his beam fabrication too; I
don't have the website off the top of my head (and I'm on my way out
the door), but it should be searchable.

I believe that it is possible to make a sturdy, laminated wooden beam
for those who want to go that route.

Rachel
ex #221