[Public-List] Mast Beam Failure on #133

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 11 09:49:45 PST 2010

If I may add one more thing to this discussion - When you remove the bolts, check to see if they are bent. They probably will be. I don't know what they used on hull #133 but on the boats I have worked on they used 1/4" bolts that are threaded all the way, which yields less that a true 1/4". So a suggestion it to increase the bolt size to 5/16" and use bolts that are only threaded on the end and use more of them. Bent bolts are an indicator of the twisting that I referred to in an earlier email.

Mike Lehman