[Public-List] Knockdown in an Alberg 30

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Tue Jan 12 08:29:33 PST 2010

We once put a spreader into the water while spinnaker reaching and
pushing the boat too hard -

there was a gust (we were blasting along to leeward of the land) and
we got laid down.  I eased the main but the boom was in the water
before much pressure came off that sail.    I called cast off the
spinnaker sheet but a kink jammed in the block... I then called to run
the spinnaker guy in order to ease the pressure on that sail that
way...it jerked out a foot or so then nothing more happened.  Thinking
it had jammed too I yelled to my son Pete who was up at the mast to
cast off the halyard.  From under the mainsail (we were way over by
this time, dragging sideways with water foaming into the cockpit) I
heard his calm voice call back "Uh, can't just now."   I learned later
he was standing on the shrouds, which were horizontal and deep under
water.    I looked behind me and saw our visiting friend Lynn holding
tight to the spinnaker guy with all her strength.  I said 'that looks
like it hurts, why don't you let go?"  She did, the spinnaker
collapsed and the boat came back onto her feet.  All this took less
time to happen than to tell, and was going on as we were crossing the
finish line.

'Can't, just now' delivered in a deep slow voice during any sort of
emergency is a family joke now.

I was interested to note that the companionway was out of the water
even with a spreader immersed.

It's all good fun!

Gord #426 SUSPRISE