[Public-List] Interior Laminated surface

Bill Wallace wayfarer3134 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 18 17:11:42 PST 2010

The instructions from Don Casey's "This Old Boat", 2cd edition, page 105 are fairly good (more comprehensive than I've included here) - sand the entire surface with 60 grit sandpaper, make sure ALL ignition sources are off, but you have as good air flow as possible (no fan, it is an ignition source).  Apply 1 coat of contact cement to both surfaces (2 coats if the bottom is bare wood) - let dry tack free - overnight is good enough (do not sleep in the boat - contact cement fumes are quite nasty), cover the ENTIRE counter surface with wax paper - every square millimeter so that you can pull the paper out.  Position the top.  Pull the paper out one at a time.  Roll the top surface.  Trim the edges and cut out the sink with a router trim bit.

I've done contact cement work, and I agree, the trick to a permanent bond is letting the glue dry tack free before attaching.  The problem is that the vapour leaches out the cement if you apply it wet - so you end up with a very thing medium-strong edge, and no bond in the center, so as soon as the edge gets a bit of pressure, the whole thing comes up.

Buy a name brand cement - the cheap ones are not nearly as good (mostly solvent I guess).

Bill.