[Public-List] Loose footed mainsail question

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Thu Jan 21 21:13:07 PST 2010

Within the GLAA, there has been one loose-footed main other than John
Boor's on an AL30 and the owner , an engineer , could not trim the sail
. The sailmaker could but the owner couuld not.  The sailmaker took it
back to avoid dissatisfaction and it is now on a C&C Corvette and
winning! You cannot race in Class or, as I understnd PHRF rules, in PHRF
races with this type of sail because the PHRF standards incorporate
standards set as the boat came from the manufacturer, which in our case
had mains that were in a groove.
    As for outhauls, if you want a women to trim them use a 14:1 with a
set up with a block on the sail clew and a double and triple within the
boom , exits on both sides. Then you can trim the foot to exactly where
you want it.
    I too will agree that Ron at Triton makes a very good main and I
have liked Bainbridge better than North and I have both. I found that
the North cloth that they gave me as sufficient, even though I asked for
extra strength,  lasted well in a 2+2 for about 6 years and up here,
that is not many races. I will never buy another North for their bad
service out of the Toronto loft.
E-mail me of list if you want details on the outhaul, although I have
given them on here before now.
Don # 528.