[Public-List] Steam bending Teak

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 27 08:49:59 PST 2010

This is from:
http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4762119_wood-bend.html

It is a 'start' to the answer of your question
Best Wood for Bending
Not all types of wood are appropriate for bending. Bending quality is reliant on the number of defects or weak spots in the wood, since they make wood more likely to split when bent. Cross-grain wood at places like knots, ring separations and the center of the tree makes bending failure more common, and wood with decay or existing breaks is not at all usable. Trees that produce the best wood for bending are usually hardwood, as softwood species tend to be difficult, and can be of both open-grain and closed-grain types. Popular woods include Oak, Ash, Walnut, Elm, Hickory, Black Locust, Beech, Maple, Birch, Cherry, Hackberry, Magnolia, Pecan, Sweetgum and Yellow Poplar. The quality of wood in these trees will vary with the location and individual tree.

Mike Lehman