[Public-List] Public-List Digest, Vol 1701, Issue 2

David Tessier dfjtessier at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 6 12:48:30 PST 2010

Charles,

I did my beam in 2009.  Despite the information int he Alberg 30 Manual (which includes a single plate way not to do it!), I considered beam strengthening a custom project.  So I spent some time to make custom patterns from 1/8" plywood for the fore and aft aluminium plates respectively because:

- the fore and aft surfaces differ, including small differences/imperfections in the tabbing

- I wanted to get in as much metal as possible without crushing the slightly irregular tabbing.

After discussing the cutting with a couple of machine shops who wanted a digitized shape (to do my pro bono job), I decided to cut the aluminium with a reciprocating jigsaw with proper metal cutting blades and, importantly, oil or water as a coolant/lubricant. The cutting went well, although I am rather stubborn ;-).  The resulting plates fit perfectly without the fiddling which would be needed with templates from another boat (see Alberg 30 Manual).  After careful dry fitting (and refitting), I sanded and degreased the plates, carefully etched/pretreated/rinsed the mating surfaces of the aluminium plates, and epoxied + bolted the plates in place.

Give me a shout offline if you want any more details (e.g. my treatment of a couple of existing bumps on the beam surfaces) or pictures.

Cheers,

David

TROIS BOULEAUX #319

P.s.: I also upgraded the chainplate bolts and installed thick backing plates; and installed a fixed custom gooseneck.