[Public-List] Steam bending Teak

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Wed Jan 27 08:16:16 PST 2010

Bob,

I can not provide you with a reference. I was making that comment based on experience and discussion with others. I purchased teak to replace the guards on a Dyer Dinghy. The net result of which was that I had Dyer themselves steam bend Oak for the replacement guards. I think that it really depends on the size and the cross sectional shape of the member to be bent. Dyer has had 60 years experience building dinghies and has tried several different woods for the guards.  They have settled on Oak and Mahogany.

I would think that the cell structure and resin content of the wood species would dictate which species is less or more likely to respond to steam bending and then retain the bent shape without splintering on the outside surface.

I purchased a 19th century Scythe at a flea market just because of the wonderful sculptural design of the bent Ash frame. It is amazing to me that a 1/1/2" diameter single piece of Ash could have been formed into such a shape.

Michael #133