[Public-List] boat design

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Wed Jul 7 07:18:59 PDT 2010

HI Dan -

Many boats are sensitive to weight astern... A twenty-five footer will have
a noticeable change in her trim when you've got  several people in the
cockpit.

I'd guess that your prev owner decided to trim the bow down a little so she
didn't squat so much when the cockpit is populated.  This is normally not a
good thing to do since putting ballast in either end is detrimental to
performance due to an increase in the boat's tendency to hobby horse.

However, if you sail in flat water and only experience waves when crossing a
wake, you may well find the boat sails noticeably better with the bow
trimmed down a little.

We noticed SURPRISE was a little better in light airs with her 200' of 5/16"
chain up in the bow.   In contrast she is noticeably worse in a chop.
Here's the 'however'; Our round the buoys racing is in Severn Sound; flat
water 90% of the time....

Gord SURPRISE #426