[Public-List] Bilge pumps

jay at saildriver.com jay at saildriver.com
Wed Jul 7 08:02:33 PDT 2010

I have had several submersibles fail. Some I had installed, and some were professionally installed. Practical Sailor suggests that 1 to 2 years is the expected life span of a submersible.

Recently I have installed a diaphragm pump, which is mounted above the bilge so that neither the pump or electrical connections are under water. The switch is a solid state electronic "smart" switch. So far, it has worked well. Time will tell about it's longevity.

Jay Davenport
Revolution, A30 #526

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
~Samuel Adams