[Public-List] Bilge Pumps

Stephen Gwyn gwyn at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Wed Jul 7 17:13:40 PDT 2010

Hi George,

The bilge pump counter went from 7+ runs per rainy week to about
2 runs per rainy week when I rebedded the round inspection port
in the cockpit sole. I don't know whether it is original or
installed by a previous owner. Who ever did install it did not
use any sealant, or if he did, used a pretty crappy one.

Other than that, condensation or maybe in the hull-deck join.
There seems to be water at the bottom of the cockpit lockers so
maybe the leak(s) are in the locker lids.

Right now however, it is summer. No rain and the bilge pump never
runs. The bilge smells somewhat, indicating it is stagnant. Which
was a good thing if you were an old-time wooden boat sailor.

Stephen
#495 Quasar

> Hi, Stephen,

> On 7/7/10 5:58 PM, Stephen Gwyn wrote:
> > Although my boat rarely leaks salt water (except when I
neglect the
> > stuffing box) fresh water from rain and the melting ice in
the icebox
> > end up in the bilge. I installed a bilge pump counter
> > this winter which showed that when it rains heavily, the pump
can
> > run 2-3 times a week. While I wouldn't count on the automatic
> > bilge pump to deal with a real leak, getting the rainwater
out
> > of the bilge means I can leave the boat for 2-3 weeks.
>
> I would be worried about rain getting in the bilge.  That's not
really a
> normal condition.  Do you know where it's coming in?
>
>   - George

  Stephen Gwyn                 |  Tel: 1-250-363-3136
  Dept. of Physics & Astronomy |  Fax: 1-250-363-0045
  Univ. of Victoria            |  Cell: 1-250-885-6969
  PO Box 3055                  |  E-mail: gwyn at uvastro.phys.uvic.ca
  Victoria, BC  V8W 3P6        |  http://orca.phys.uvic.ca/~gwyn