[Public-List] side mount outboard

Richard Mair ramair49 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 18:05:53 PDT 2010

I have tried the outboard on the side..Though i have respect for Yves and
have on of cape horn vanes which i love i would not do the outboard again..I
found it not very good in a swell and more prone to quit by getting wet.. A
well maintained atomic 4 can be as reliable as any outboard and more
reliable than most.. We looked at the cape horn site and came up with a
close copy of what Yves did, but mild steel instead of stainless as it was
temporary from the start.
  If you want more maintaince but more warning when things are going off
stay with points on the a-4. Electronic ignition is reliable these days and
if you were to go to the lengths of replacing the fuel pump and ignition
every couple of years it will probably never quit.
  Remember that the same things that make the atomic 4 quit can make an
outboard quit.  The outboard can also quit from the wake of a passing
powerboat..This happened to us.. You also have to set up a system of pulleys
to pull the outboard up as it is not easy to lean over the rail and do
this..
Remember there is always the anchor
609 Into The Blue
Richard