[Public-List] Cutlass Bearing Flange Alberg 30

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Thu Jul 22 07:59:07 PDT 2010

Well we had 'fun' anyway.

During one of the gybes there was a colossal bang followed by the whole boat
shaking and rounding up really hard against the helm I was giving her... I
thought a shroud had let go and the mast was going but of course it was
still standing.

I thought to myself
'gee-whiz-I-wonder-what-that-was-oh-my-where's-the-boom?'

The vang had broken in the midst of the gybe and let the boom cock up as it
flew across the boat (the sheet was not coming in fast enough to control it)
and the end of the boom caught on the backstay.  It stayed there pressed by
the sail...which forced the boat to round up hard.  Fortunately our foes
were not in the piece of water we blundered into.

I reached up and grabbed the sheet around the tackle and gave it a yank...
Crash-twang off it came from the backstay and away we went.  We jury-rigged
a vang and carried on.  I didn't notice till bedtime that I had hurt my hand
and shoulder by pulling so hard.

So, lots of fun, even without spinnaker follies....

Gord #426 SURPRISE