[Public-List] Launching an Alberg 30 from trailer

Peter Milley milleype at kingston.net
Fri Jul 23 15:48:25 PDT 2010

Hi Jeff,
I routinely trailer my AL30 to and from Kingston Harbour every year but have
never launched it on a ramp. One of the ramps at Portsmouth Olympic Harbour
has a moderate grade and over 6.5 feet of depth at the end of the ramp. They
recently placed a load of crushed stone at the end of the ramp so there is
no abrupt drop off to snag the trailer tire should it need to go back that
far.
The problem I have is that in order to back the trailer into deep water to
float off the Alberg I would have to back my truck up into the water and it
would submerge the exhaust and likely get water in the cab; not a good idea.
I propose to use a tow truck to let the trailer be reel into the water and
then be reeled back up the ramp once launched.
I often launch my Folkboat, it has a dedicated trailer as well, with its 12
foot extendable tongue from the same ramp but it does not have to go as far
down the same ramp into the water to be floated off.
Once I have the cutlass bearing assembly re-installed and the stern tube
re-bedded and I think I'll give it a try a trailer launch as the Alberg is
parked beside the ramp on the trailer presently. It would mean I wouldn't
have to arrange for a crane to be brought in again at a cost of $500.00 to
be lifted back in.
I recall reading somewhere on the web of an Alberg 30 owner in California
who both launched and loaded their boat on a trailer but was unable to
relocate this information.
Peter