[Public-List] Sailing off anchor, mooring

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Mon Jul 26 10:30:31 PDT 2010

Jeff,

On 7/26/10 11:36 AM, Jeffrey wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> One thing I have noticed with my Alberg is the fact that she swims
> back and forth at a mooring or anchor in a breeze.  Not a problem
> unless trying to leave an anchor or mooring under sail. I find that
> when I pull up my main while at a mooring, she won't center into the
> wind,  instead bears off hard trying to sail? The worst part is that I
> have no say in which way she bears off.
>
> Does anyone else notice this? Anything I could do differently? I'd
> like to master this skill.

The bow of the Alberg makes a great sail.  I've found that a riding sail
(very flat, hoisted low on the backstay, and sheeted to the mast)
settles the boat down considerably at anchor.

For raising the main at anchor, I leave the sheet loose to let the sail
flog back and forth while pulling out the anchor.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org