[Public-List] Gooseneck Track

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Thu Jul 29 06:09:48 PDT 2010

Ed,

If I were doing this job I would remove the original fasteners and install the new ones in the original holes. You might have to drill out the old fasteners, start with a new small drill bit perhaps only 1/8" to get it exactly in the center.....then drill to the larger size. You might have to increase the size of the new fasteners. Remember to install a new shim between the mast and the track so the gooseneck can slide. I would use some type of plastic here and not teak as originally used. Starboard, FRP sheeting, pieces of Formica....all would have compression strength and not rot away.

Good luck on your project.

P.S. as I former Aircraft Mechanic it makes me crazy to hear of folks drilling extra holes in structural members, no matter how over designed they are. If it is not absolutely necessary, then don't drill the extra holes just because it might be expedient...........please oh please....;-)

Michael #133