[Public-List] trailer launching

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Fri Jul 23 07:17:32 PDT 2010

Hi Peter:
    I have never launched the 30 from a trailer but I know Brian
Matthews has done so with a 22 many times. If you are a member of the
GLAA you can call him from the roster information that you will have. On
the other hand, I have trailered my boat every year for the last 13
years  to and from the lake. I have also seen stars, etchells and that
size of boat launched from trailers. They use small (4000 lb max)
cranes. I have trailered a y-flyer to numerous regattas from Sudbury,
Ontario to Charlotte N.C.  and they are dry sailed,  so launched every time.
    There are several considerations that need to be addressed and the
first is cost. The cheapest overall is a crane with a yacht club. The
second is a travel lift. This is because the pitfalls are known before
you start and the cost is on paper before you start as well.
    With respect, the other systems are frought with interest and
humour, only if it is not your boat.
    The first thing to consider is the trailer. Trailers for Alberg 30s
range from single axle trailers with air ride to triaxles and the
subject of wet bearings is always one to consider, regardless of the
size of trailer. Any wheel bearings that have oil baths will pollute the
waters you are launching into.In many instances, wet bearings mean rusty
bearings and they invariably  give out at highway speeds. To avoid this
all bearings need to be inspected by disassembly at least once a year,
twice if it is a big and expensive boat. Bearing failure is usually a
time consuming, costly fix and a disruption for traffic with hopefully
no damage to the boat from an upset. I have done a study of ASAE CG/LB
class.greases, and the best grease for low water wash out, at the time
of my study,  was Texaco's Starplex - moly ® a non-common grease,  and
so would require several sailors to get together and buy a case of
cartridges. Second best was Texaco's Starplex II® . I don't know if you
can get those in Canada now since Esso bougth out Texaco's Canadian
assets. As well, there is the problem of lights and wiring. Any wet
wiring is a factor for corrosion and that is a nuisance to work on. Wet,
hot bulbs (usually brake lights) often blow under water and then you are
without lights or have to change them at the scene.The third thing with
trailers is maneuverability. You have said that you want to retrieve the
trailer with a wire rope from a tow truck. There is one small problem
with this system and that is trying to push on the wire rope to get the
boat into the lake. Lake Norman Yacht Club has a fleet of E scows on
trailers and they use two 20 foot pipe tongue extensions on those
trailers so they can have control going in and coming out. The
extensions have a ball hitch on one end and the associated coupler on
the other, and as long as the line is fairly straight, control is quite
easy both ways.
    The biggest problem with trailer launching is the length of concrete
ramps. These are usually long enough to accommodate trailers of up to 25
feet from hitch to aft end of wheels that require a draft to float the
boat of about 4 feet including the trailer. After that length, there is
usually a right angled drop off into mud. It is when trailers go past
the drop off that it becomes interesting. One cannot get the trailer off
any further after the drop off if the only connection is a wire rope. As
well, one cannot get the trailer back in to shore if the drop off is
greater than about 1/3  of the tire height,  without going for a swim
and using lifting devices for most substantial trailers. Air bags are
expensive but you can get them and they are needed if this happens.You
need to be able to inflate them while they are under water or you will
get no lift.. Further, there is no guarantee at this point that the
Alberg will be afloat rather than driving the wheels deeper into the bog!
   If you want a day of entertainment and education, take a day in the
spring when trailer boats are launching or a day when there is  big
gathering of boats, like the Potahawk weekend in Port Dover, Ontario
where 10,000 boats end up off Long Point in Lake Erie for the weekend
and just watch. It will be a  day with a few laughs every hour.
    Putting a trailer with an Alberg on it in water is not something
that I could recommend as being a wise choice.
    If you want to see a picture of my trailer, there is one somewhere
on the Alberg site or I can send you one off line. It is a single axle,
air ride, 45' unit. We had no trouble with a boat from New York City to
London, Ontario at 70 mph all the way home. The trailer does not go in
the lake though. Cranes and travel lifts are the way to go. My most
expensive lift for the Alberg into the lake  has been $240.00: cheapest
lift, $50. and a bottle of rum. Having a crane come to lift off after
the trip home from NYC was about $400.00.
    Grin, be happy and take your lumps first with a crane. Way easier in
the long run because the cost of the tow truck will be more than the
lift. You can use any truck to tow a trailer if the capacity and license
are legal. You will require a wide load permit with an AL30 in Ontario
if you go on the 400 series highways. - $100. per day - or the approval
of the county engineer for every county you travel through.
Don #528