[Public-List] Sailing off anchor, mooring

moiraeiii at aol.com moiraeiii at aol.com
Mon Jul 26 13:27:40 PDT 2010

Jeff,
Assuming you are sailing solo~

I too sail on and off my mooring,  usually solo, (and my Hood main will not flog). I accomplish this by placing the tiller vertical, raise the main, place the traveler midship, release the toping lift and sheet the boom tight!
The boat will try to sail but will hunt about the mooring. Anticipate when the boat will be headed in the most favorable direction (most clearance to other boats) and cast off. This also works well when raising or striking a head sail, but this is best left to open waters.
All bets are off if the tiller fouls on anything!
Picking up the mooring, attach the toping lift, run out all the main sheet, head into the wind and push the boom out by hand using the main as a brake when you are at the mooring. When stopped, quick like a bunny, hand over hand the main sheet tight, tiller up, scoot forward and pick up the mooring pennant and quickly tie the mooring line to the bow cleat. Then lower the main. If your timing is perfect and all goes well, hope that all in the mooring field have been witness. If anything goes awry, hope no one was witness.
If you have roller furling head sail then roll out a hankie or two and cast off when the boat is headed in a favorable direction. When clear of the mooring field, furl the jib and raise the main using the same tiller, traveler, main sheet configuration as above.
Be deliberate, calm and patient. As always, one hand for you and one for the ship.
Fair winds,
Randy #283