[Public-List] Finishes Part Two........ Plus

Laughing Gull laughing_gull at verizon.net
Thu Jun 3 05:18:11 PDT 2010

I like all the comments - they mirror my experience. There are no short cuts. I have two questions:

1. The best success I have had to date is a base of good spar varnish (I think it was z spar nothing special) covered with Bristol Finish. The Bristol is a two part varnish. This has produced a hard finish that resists normal wear and tear. it fails around the edges- as they all do I guess. The advantage of this is that you can apply multiple coats in one session.

Interestingly, I have had much less success with the Bristol just by itself. It is very finicky if there is ANY issue with the preparation - which in the case of teak is hard as the wood is so oily - mine isn't but ...

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

2 - I have heard one can buy very thin sheets of stainless steel that can be attached to the wear points - where the sheets run off the winches across the coaming and into the cockpit for example. This would be less bulky that putting quarter round on those spots.

Anyone. Done this? It would look more traditional if you could get it in bronze.

Jonathan Adams
Mobile: 443-538-7443
Composed on PDA