[Public-List] stern tube rudder post corrosion problem

Matthew Hay mattrhay at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 16:31:49 PDT 2010

Hi happy Friday,
If someone has the time can they please describe what and were the stern
tube is on my 1968 #314 pre-liner Alberg.  I have been following previous
discussions but am confused.  Having never addressed this issue I would like
to while I am still out of the water painting the interior.  I think I have
discovered a rather serious problem.  If I look over my engine with a
flashlight at the rudder post coming down from under the cockpit the post
goes strait into a big (for lack of a better or proper word) large nut
assembly that looks like with the proper wrench could be turned.  That is
all there is. I do not see a tube or anything else?  Is 1968 on the cusp and
perhaps I do have a stuffing box but Masonite core (which I have confirmed)
and no liner with a vertical fridge?  I am concerned because were the rudder
post goes into the stuffing box nut assembly the post itself seems to have
corroded to the point were I can see what looks like a bronze rectangular
shaft being revealed through the corrosion of the metal around it.  That
can't be good?  The rectangular bronze looking shaft seems fine but what
ever metal surrounds it has corroded off in one spot right above were the
shaft exists through the nut stuffing box?? assembly.  Is that a corroded
stern tube?  Or do I need to replace my rudder post?  Or can I keep an eye
on it this summer and replace the rudder post (if that what is wrong) as a
winter project next fall?  I hope this is not all to confusing.
Thank you very much,
Matt 1968 #314