[Public-List] stern tube rudder post corrosion problem

David Tessier dfjtessier at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 12 13:19:21 PDT 2010

Matt,

Thanks for raising this issue.

We have A30 #319.  I have been looking from the companionway back over our A4 at the rudder post for a couple of years now.  Although #319 is a pre-liner boat, I seem to see a stuffing box on the rudder tube.  I have assumed that our A30 might be exceptional (aren't they all?) because just above what appears to be a stuffing box is a chain sprocket on the rudder post which is coupled via a chain to a very old auto pilot located in the starboard cockpit locker.  Fortunately the engage/disengage lever on the old auto pilot works very well and when disengaged, the tiller is quite free to move.  I have pictures of the set up -- if anyone would like to see a few of them, drop me a line and I will send them along.

I have never quite understood how far up the rudder stock tube extends in the pre-liner boats (e.g., without the autopilot feature on ours), e.g., does it go all the way up to the underside of the cockit sole?  thereby permitting a little water to pump into the cockpit in a following sea?  In light of my interest in keeping friction in the rudder to a minimum in order to facilitate self-steering (sheet-to-tiller and/or wind vane), this seems like a small price to pay.

 Any comments or further details on the rudder stock/tube situation in pre-liner boats, including access of moisture into the cockpit sole core, would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

David Tessier

Trois Bouleaux, #319