[Public-List] Spinnaker Pole

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Tue Jun 15 07:12:48 PDT 2010

Greg:
    The Canadian Race Rules differ slightly from the American ones for
pole lengths. Canadians have tried to accommodate sailing in PHRF
classes as well as one design racing and so have allowed longer whisker
poles when racing white sail races. I know Jay Bergquist encouraged
white sail racing in the Chesapeake, and so there may be some recent
accommodations there that are not yet in the American Rules. Certainly,
a whisker pole of 10.75' is not as much fun as a long pole with a 165 or
170 foresail.
    I use an extendible pole (Aamoco, or Ammoco or Amoco, I just can't
remember the correct spelling) and had to cut about 1 foot out of the
one end to get it short enough to fit a J of 10.5 -10.75 feet. It is a
3"/ 2 1/2" set up and I can then use one pole for both the spin pole
and  whisker pole. I use a dip pole set up and have a bridle for the
uphaul so the pole is always in tension. The bridle is such that the
pole will not extend beyond a legal  PHRF whisker pole length for my big
sail. That has the pole length out to just over 14'.
    If you are not racing and want the longer pole, then you can have
the short length at the J and that fits the American racing rules for
whisker pole too, and you have the option of the long whisker pole for
everyday sailing.
    I would not recommend any lighter pole than the 3" because the
tension on a 14' pole is significant with a big sail on a reach.
    This past weekend we were sailing in 12 - 18 knots of wind, and I
used the pole at the J for a 135 and that was a good strong combination
for that wind and we had no qualms about a weak pole.
Don #528