[Public-List] Great Lakes / Chesapeake Races

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Tue Jun 15 09:13:36 PDT 2010

Very close!!!
After Friday night,  Americans' were at 5, WO and Gemini were at 10 and
,  Lindisfarne had 8 for a DNS, .Candy Cane and Summer Salt both
finished, so Summer Salt was 3 and CC was 5th so the team 3 of
Lindisfarne and CC were at 13. Summer Salt drew me for a partner and so
we had a 5 as well.
    The Sunday race was in light but steady air to begin with at 10:00
and then it died shortly after 11:00. Phil covered The Answer and smoked
them on the faster outside and port tack. I covered Viva 11 on Starboard
and inside. and smoked them so after the windward leg, Phil rounded
first, I was second and Candy Cane 3rd. Then Viva 11 and The Answer with
Lindisfarne close and Summer Salt well back. The wind died on this leg
so the RC shortened course and that was the order of finish. We waited
around from just after 11:00 to after 13:00 for wind to no avail so WO
and Gemini had 13, Americans had 14,  WO and Summer Salt had 14 and the
other two were "also rans" with 21.  However every boat had a flag since
there were none lower than 3rd.
    Wind got up about 15:30 just after we finished a very good BBQ put
on for us by the club and at no cost to us, if you can believe that!
    We took our boats over to PCYC on the iron lung as the wind was
light and on the nose and then Janet and I motored all the way on Monday
as well.
    Close finish and a good defense but a really sad day Saturday with
just one race in really good wind.
    That was apparently Towney's last trip for the Syronelle.
Don