[Public-List] inner stay, rudder tube

gordon white gewhite at crosslink.net
Sun Jun 13 15:42:52 PDT 2010

My boat is # 275, pre-liner, built in 1967.

To my knowledge there was never an inner stay provided on A-30s, though
there has been discussion about adding one. The fitting you describe may
be something added later for some purpose. Perhaps others will know-

    My boat had a fiberglass tube around the rudder stock that reached/
almost /to the under-side of the deck. Under some circumstances she took
water there.

   When I added an auto-pilot I had a stuffing box glassed to the top of
the tube. I believe other non-liner boats have had the same improvement.
(I cannot speak for liner models.)
- Gordon White, Brigadoon II