[Public-List] Deck Painting A30 #560 How much paint,primer?

Don Lang potatosailor at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 10 17:28:14 PDT 2010

Roger,

I did install the hatch. There was some softness in the core on deck in the area so I thought I'd put a hatch in when I did the core repair as the forward bulkhead is solid and watertight so there would be no other access to the chain locker.  I used a skill saw to cut the hole out for the hatch and to cut through the top laminate back to good solid core material. Then used a fein multimaster tool with a scraper blade to remove the core leaving the lower laminate intact.
The lower laminate was wet out with west system epoxy and new core laid in and weighed down until cured.
Two layers of biaxial cloth was rolled on (using west systems epoxy), wax paper laid atop the cloth, followed by some plywood with weights piled on to get a good compression clamping action going. After it was cured the weights, plywood and wax paper was removed and awlprep with wax and grease remover was wiped over the area to remove any wax residue and contaminants before sanding. Then it was sand, fill, and fair, using west systems epoxy and a fifty fifty mix of west 406 & 407 fillers.

I walked around the hatch opening on deck and my somewhat rotund figure made it evident I needed to Beef it up a little more.  :-)
So I added some plastic hull stiffeners (from Taco metals) under the deck around the hatch and glassed them in place and that stiffened it up remarkably well.

Links to pictures below;

http://alberg30.blogspot.com/2009/06/anchor-locker.html

http://alberg30.blogspot.com/2009/06/anchor-locker-glassing-core.html

http://alberg30.blogspot.com/2009/01/chain-locker-painted-plumbing-wiring.html

Cheers, Don

Thanks Peter,

I used perfection for the topsides but was not happy with the results I got.
I know it was due to my lack of experience with Urethane and not the product.
I did not thin it and had a few runs where I initially applied it too thick, and later could see the brush strokes in the cured paint in other areas after it cured.
I used a foam  roller and soft brush to roll and tip it.
I sanded it all off and am ready for round two.
Do you have any tips that may make the next effort more successful?

Cheers, Don

Don,

I noticed you have a hatch in the fore deck.  Did you install it?  Do you
have any info on how to do one?  I couldn't find it on your blog but might
have missed it.

Thanks Roger 149

Don,
Thanks for sharing the great pictures. I have used Interlux
Two-part Perfection in the past with the Intergrip non skid compound added
on a couple of boats. I'll certainly consider the KIWI Grip in the future.
Peter Milley