[Public-List] Spreader Brackets

Michael Taylor m_tayau at yahoo.com.au
Mon Mar 1 11:31:39 PST 2010

Hi Again,

I replaced the original spreaders a couple of years ago with a set of ash ones.  I noticed a crack in the wood right where the bolt hole is which has set me thinking about what to do.

I was thinking of replacing them with aluminum ones which are available off the shelf from Klacko Spars in Toronto.  However, these bolt on to the old brackets which is my biggest concern.  No matter what angle I look at these, the two brackets are not the same.  Each time I position the old spreaders into them I can see that the angle made at the mast is not equal.  Of course I do not know which angle is correct.  Does anyone know what this angle should be in order for the spreader to disect the shrould angle exactly in two?

I am thinking that the spreader brackets should be changed as I am replacing all the rigging at this time.  Does anyone know if there are any spreader brackets available off the shelf which line line up with the orginal bolt holes and have the correct original angles.  Are there any new original style cast brackets out there?

thanks!

Mick