[Public-List] Gimballed Kerosene Stove Option.

Kirk Little kirkalittle at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 16 16:45:16 PDT 2010

As no one brought up the Kerosene option and I have been happily using it full time for two years of world cruising I thought it at least deserved a mention.  While re-fitting Salsa #504 for a circumnavigation I decided to remove the old Origo two burner non-presurised non-gimballed stove in place of an Atom Stove designed by James Baldwin.  I needed an economical stove that I could use full time and offshore in all weather.  If I had more money I would have considered propane, however for about $500 I had a complete system plus all the spares (even a spare stove) expected to last about 3 years of cooking full time.  Not only is kerosene safer but its generally cheaper and way easier to obtain in foreign harbors and I can easilly and safely store up to six months of fuel for long passsages to remote places.

This is a one burner, gimballed, pressurized kerosene stove.  It does require pre-heating with alcohol and some basic maintenance but I'm laughing everytime my fellow cruisers arrive in port with a rusty empty tank of propane and hop in a taxi to not only fine a place to re-fill but also the fitting adapters they need for that country.  The hardest thing about the atom stove is getting James to build you one, as you generally have to twist his arm just to get on the waiting list.  One friend of mine did very successfully copy the design and had a metal shop build it as James offers the blue-prints free on his website.   Here is a link to the stove details and photos followed by a link that will scroll down to photos of the stove installed in my A30.

http://www.atomvoyages.com/projects/AtomStovePriceList.htm
http://www.atomvoyages.com/articles/salsa.htm

Kirk Little, Alberg 30 #504 Salsa, Brisbane, Australia.
www.SailingSalsa.com