[Public-List] Remove Teak Toe Rails/Hull Deck Paint Job

Bob Crinion bob at crinion.ca
Sat Mar 20 18:53:56 PDT 2010

My boat is Hull# 560 with a hull liner.

Has anyone removed the teak toe rails and resealed the hull deck joint?

Is it a big job to remove the teak toe rails?

Do you use 3m 5200 to reseal the deck or something else?

Was it possible to rebolt the deck with SS 1/4" machine screws or do you
have to use Aluminum or SS rivets in some places?

I have a variety of leaks mostly along the hull deck joint, some from
what looks like corroded aluminum rivets and some leaks from the screws
that hold down the teak toe rails. Some of the leaks are in the vee
berth and eventually find their way into the bunks and others in the
salon cupboards.

I have sailed the boat for at least 6 years and would like to fix the
leaks once and for all...

The deck is a light blue color, badly faded and is in need of a paint
job.

The non skid is not too bad but in areas on the vertical surfaces along
the coach roof you can see worn areas showing a black substance in the
worn gelcoat.

The boat yard folks have suggested at 36 years perhaps an overhaul is
finally needed and suggested Awlgrip on the hull and deck. One
suggestion was to roll and tip Awlgrip on the deck and spray the hull.

The deck requires some repair in some of the stantion areas.

I built a plastic bow shaped shed (34' by 14') to house the boat for
this project with fluorescent lights inside.

Sometimes I think I may be about to bite of more than I can chew on this
one...

I am thinking of removing all the deck hardware, windows etc and
replacing the windows with tinted ones.

Any suggestions and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-bob