[Public-List] Rudder Assembly

Michael Taylor m_tayau at yahoo.com.au
Wed Mar 31 22:04:22 PDT 2010

Hi Listers,

Armed with a shiny new gudgeon and pintle I took to the boat with great enthusiasm today expecting to dry  fit everything before putting a final finish on the ruddder.  Unfortunately, it was not to be as I have hit another problem due to the size of the upper rudder post.

When I attempted to remove the rudder a few weeks ago I was unable to work the rudder down through the hull.  The problem turned out to be the small clearance between the rudder post and the hull.  I discovered that the upper post is 1 1/2" rather than the more common 1" (assume).  The small amount of scale on the shaft was enough to stop the rudder moving.  I had to unbolt the post from the rudder and split it in place to allow the rudder blade removal.

When I went to fit the new hardware today I hit the same problem.  There was insufficient clearance between the rudder post and hull to allow the rudder to move back far enough and enable slipping on the new fittings.  This was a lack of foresight on my part.  I assumed there would be no problem.  The only way around the problem now is to either remove the upper rudder post from the rudder and re-attach when the rudder is in place or cut the the keel fitting in two pieces and see if it can be configured to work.

As I think the rudder will again have to be split to remove it perhaps
makes more sense to do it again now to fit the gudgeon/pintle without
modifying but I am concerned that I won't be able to remove it easily
now (used lots of epoxy) so I prefer to split the fitting.

I am wondering whether those who have a split fitting use a bushing around the pin or just have bronze on bronze?

The point of all this is if you are going to work on the rudder then its a good idea to measure the size of the upper post and consider the issues I have had if your post is 1 1/2".  Of course I can't be sure a 1" post would allow fitting a one piece fitting on the keel but I think it would be close.

Now where's the hack saw to butcher the new fitting........................

Mick  #231 (pre-rudder post stuffing box)