[Public-List] Stoves and propane

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Sat Mar 13 19:48:27 PST 2010

There is another comment that needs to be made regarding alcohol fuels
and the problems of pouring from a plastic container to a metal one.
Plastic containers will take a static charge and so will metal
containers. In the case of alcohol bottles and Origo or similar  fuel
cells, the charges built up are opposite charges and so if the plastic
is close enough to the metal it may spark as the charges try to
neutralize tehmselves. If the  concentration of alcohol vapor in the air
is between 9 and 12% it will explode and cause a fireball. We have had
one fire from this in the GLAA in the last 2 1/2 years with a
single-hander. The result was a call to the Coast Guard and a tow in,
plus a trip of about 70 miles to a burn unit with facial burns. Curtains
were burned and there was some damage to the interior of the boat.
Fortunately, the burns were not serious, but could have been, especially
if eyes had been burned. WHEN ORIGO SAY TO POUR THE ALCOHOL  TO FILL THE
FUEL CELL OUTSIDE THE CABIN, THEY MEAN IT.   In all reality, there is no
safe fuel, unless you use solid fuels.  All liquid or vapor fuel sources
require safe handling all the time. The molecular weight of air is about
30 because air is 80% nitrogen as N2 with a molecular weight of 28 and
18% -19% oxygen as O2 with a molecular weight of 32. The only carbon
based fuels that are lighter than that are those with less than 2 carbon
molecules and not much oxygen so methanol,  methane or ethane. Generally
alcohol fuels are ethanol so two carbons and one oxygen  with several
hydrogen as well. It is denatured with either propanol or methanol. If
the fireball is yellow, it is methanol, if not yellow then the other.
However, molecular weight by itself does not get the concentration
within the cabin atmosphere to be non-explosive. It is a factor of
concentration and if there is a source of ignition and the concentration
is critical, it will explode violently. And from the experience from the
sailor above he did have time to see a yellow fireball coming at him. It
only takes a flip of a light switch to set off an explosion with natural
gas in a house and that is methane! Be extremely careful with any and
every fuel.
Don