[Public-List] Public-List Digest, Vol 1756, Issue 1

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sun Mar 14 20:01:33 PDT 2010

Wcwinslow at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/14/2010 11:09:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> public-list-request at lists.alberg30.org writes:
>

> Natural gas has 1 to 2 carbon atoms per molecule and is lighter than air.
>
> But I'm not aware of any marine stoves that use naturual gas unless it's
> being marketed by some other name.

Yes, it's called CNG, Containerized Natural Gas.  The tanks must be much
stronger and inspected frequently, because it's under more pressure than
LPG.  And, just because it's lighter than air, it's not automatically
safe.  A friend told me about going offwatch in a race off California
(apparently CNG is somewhat more common in southern California), and was
about to light a cigarette when something didn't seem right.  It turned
out the stove was leaking and CNG had pooled on the underside of the deck.

I guess that goes to show you should never smoke belowdecks.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org