[Public-List] Remove Teak Toe Rails/Hull Deck Paint Job

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Sun Mar 21 05:19:03 PDT 2010

Good morning Bob -

I am at the Maine Boat Builder's Show in Portland now - I used to be the
only Canadian here but this year there is are several businesses, mostly
boat builders from Nova Scotia here - its nice to have company!

My job list for SURPRISE is similar to yours - but I am going to tackle the
job list in successive years.  A few years ago I caulked the edges of my
teak toe rail which stopped leaks forward; at the moment our problem is
centred around the genoa tracks which I am going to tackle this spring as
soon as I get home.  The other job is to finally deal with the creeping
softness in my cockpits sole, which has been spreading forward from the
rudder head.  If I wait another year I am going to have to deal with
removing the steering pedistal, a trial I want to avoid if possible.   I
think the job is not going to be particularly hard to do, just a little
awkward (working on my knees on the cockpit seats reaching down to the sole)
and messy.  I am pretty much resolved to finish the job with one of the fake
teak deck products... With an eye to doing the whole deck with it when I
deal with the core issues at the chainplates some day.

With regard to the genny tracks, I am going to remove the bolts and track,
clean up the rail beneath and glue up two splits that have developed... Then
bolt them down again with new bolts and caulking.  I am thinking that is one
weekend's work with Saturday night for the epoxy glue to cure.  I think I
mix the cockpit sole job in with it. I won't finish that but should get all
the removal part done.

I am putting off the re-wiring you and I have talked about for so long, for
another year.

Oh, and I have to install the new pulpit replacing the one the truck
re-modeled; and have a barn-raising bee to throw a structure over TOUCH
WOOD. I think I will have my slate full.

Gord SURPRISE 426