[Public-List] Remove Teak Toe Rails/Hull Deck Paint Job

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 21 08:07:25 PDT 2010

Hi Bob,

I have done this job on my boat "Gilleleje" #505.

Removal of the toe rails is not difficult, you just need to be careful. Replacing them is expensive and tedious (I split one 14' clear board - ouch - $$$$). I had to replace mine because I removed my toe rail by using another boat in a collision during a race. In the collision, it broke all of the rivets and opened the deck-hull joint for 12 feet. After finishing the race, I sailed back to the dock and re-attached the deck to the hull using 3M5200 and SS bolts. The next day, we went on the 10-day fall cruise (san toe rail) without a single leak. Over the winter I removed the track and rest of the rail and re-sealed the entire joint with 5200 and replaced all of the rivets with SS thru bolts. I like 5200 for this job, because it stays flexible and seals very well. The following year, I replaced the starboard rail and rivets, but removal of the original toe rail was not quite so dramatic.

This was over 20 years ago, and I have no leaks. It is important to re-caulk the toe rail joint inside and outside each year. Outside is easy from a dinghy.

This is a job that is worthwhile.

Mike Lehman