[Public-List] Hose Selection

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Tue Mar 30 19:40:25 PDT 2010

Hi John,

I would use a high quality wet-exhaust hose.  Trident is one company
that makes good hose.

Buck Algonquin makes a specific stuffing box hose, but the smallest ID
is 1-1/2" so I was not able to use that on my A-30 (you would have to
have a different stern tube/stuffing box than stock, at least on #221,
which was a first-generation boat).

I would use the special stuffing box hose if I could find it in the
correct size.

Another thing to be aware of is that some "5-ply" hose is (if you read
the fine print) only 3-ply in the smaller sizes.  That's not
necessarily a problem; I'm just mentioning it.

The Trident hose that I did end up using still seemed very stout in
the short length I needed.  (As I mentioned I did get the most stout
and suitable top-quality wet exhaust hose that they offered.)  It was
orders of magnitude better than the one I removed!

Mike (or anyone), have you found "real," purpose-made stuffing box
hose in 1-3/8"?  I would like to know the source, because then I could
recommend it to people needing that size.

Rachel
ex-#221