[Public-List] Corner Fiddles on a new Galley Table? Or open corners?

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Tue Mar 30 19:40:31 PDT 2010

Hi Jeff,

I would vote for removable fiddles and the open corners.  Unless you
eat a lot of crunch berries, gumballs, or etc. and like to play with
your food ;)

For myself, in actual use, I found Scoot Gard type placemats to be the
most useful for actual eating activity at sea, whereas the fiddles
were great for doing things like keeping pencils on the table between
meals.  I say that because a full plate, a glass of water, or a bowl
of soup are just really good at "high-jumping" if they ever do get a
running start at the fiddle.  It's still nice to have them though.

I guess part of it depends on your table design, too.  The table I
used the most (not in an A-30) had a permanent, slender middle section
with leaves each side that folded down.  The very outer perimeter did
have permanent fiddles with open corners.  For the "mini table" that
was permanent, there were removable fiddles for the long sides (which
of course were in the middle of the table when it was fully up).  It
was those fiddles that made great "pencil/book holders" when underway.
(And with the narrowness, even pencils didn't usually get up enough
steam to jump the fiddle.)

I would have open corners on galley fiddles too, were I choosing.

Rachel
ex-#221