[Public-List] Hose Selection

brooks.glenn at comcast.net brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Wed Mar 31 23:08:05 PDT 2010

I have the same problem on my '68 A30. Couple of years ago, I actually found a stern tube hose then heated the hose in boiling water to soften it up. Once hot (and very plyable) lubricated the ID with liquid soap and forced it onto the stuffing box and fitted the stern tube up to the other end. I had taken the stern tube and packing gland out of the boat at that time to inspect and fix a leak. After re-installing, double clamped both ends with the heavy duty ss clamps. It still works fine, but is still worrisome that both ends don;'t have the same ID, and it is time to do it again- at least look at it.. Don't know what I will do now as I have not seen another actual stuffing box hose since then. Turning the stern tube down is a great idea.... or maybe buy a new shaft and stuffing box I suppose.

best of luck...

Glenn b
Dolce