[Public-List] White smoke - valves cyl heads rebuilding and what nots

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Sat May 8 05:25:15 PDT 2010

I had my cyl. head redone on Wind Rose KC544 (A4). It was a one day job and
a double head gasket was used. A torque wrench is an absolute must as to is
a steel straight edge to confirm the head is not warped.

I am of two minds on doing the valves without doing the rings.

Unless the valves are absolutely toast (resembling finishing nails I would
not recommend doing them. In my experience engines which only have the top
end done soon blow their rings due to the improved compression caused by a
top end job.

Do the whole rebuild including rings, sleeves, bearings, wrist pins and
grinding the crank and all new seals or do nothing more than the head
gasket.

Otherwise you will likely soon create a new headache down the road.

My experiences with engines anyway.

I personally rebuilt a 3.4 ltr Mk IX jag engine in my youth.

Anyway, the head gasket replacement is fairly straight forward. Be careful
not to over torque those studs as it is a pain to break 40 year old studs
and replace them.

Good luck Gordo

Best

John