[Public-List] Incline test on an Alberg 30?

Robert Kirk isobar at verizon.net
Tue May 18 12:38:09 PDT 2010

Gord... It is entertaining. I reported as Chief Engineer of USS Ernest G
Small (DDR 838),  shortly after she emerged from a long rebuild with lots
of new equipment.  I couldn't find a record of the shipyard having
performed a new inclining experiment, so I persuaded the CO to let me Sally
Ship. He was a good-humored fellow who would sometimes stop the ship to go
fishing.

We lined up a goodly portion of the crew - deck gang, gunners, & snipes -
on the forecastle, quarterdeck, & fantail and I got on the ship's PA system
with a whistle. (I wanted to use the loud ship's whistle but the skipper
didn't want to bring down the wrath of the harbor.) I blew the whistle and
the crew ran from port to starboard (Not too far; the maximum beam of our
destroyer was only 39 feet.) Blow again, and they ran back to port, and so
on. We got the timing down quickly and the Ernie G took on a noticeable
roll at her sympathetic period, which I can't remember now but
I think was around 11 seconds.

The crew enjoyed it thoroughly. Sailors can get a little buggy after a
while at sea. There was a minimum of good-natured (?) elbowing and shoving,
and a few bloody knees. My calculations showed that the engineers at the
Bureau of Ships were pretty good because our stability remained ok. I was
told an aircraft carrier can do the same thing by driving trucks from side
to side, though I've never actually heard of it being done.

Perhaps now that you're a senior officer you can persuade the RCN to do a
little Sallying and spread the science.

An Alberg couple is pretty small beer compared to that, but it would be
nice to claim that my period is shorter than yours.

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181