[Public-List] Close tolerances for shaft and shaft log!

Jeffrey fongemie at gmail.com
Thu May 27 05:03:21 PDT 2010

Thanks John,

My engine/shaft is aligned to .002 so there shouldn't be much wobble,
just the diesel shaking on the mounts. I've not used any Sikkens
products, but went with 4200 instead of the Dolfinite because I wanted
some adhesion and a little structural integrity to the sealant. For
such a big hole in the hull, a couple of lag bolts into fiberglass
does not seem that robust. Although, yes seems like the record for
Albergs sinking because of failed stern tubes is pretty good!

For the stuffing box, I was thinking that the fitting would self-align
to the shaft, since it is on the end of a rubber hose it has the
ability to float somewhat.

-Jeff

Jeffrey Fongemie