[Public-List] Cetol vs west systemRe: Seagrass

Kris Coward kris at melon.org
Fri May 28 07:59:06 PDT 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 07:30:48PM -0700, Richard J Hughes wrote:
> Considering redoing the toe rail around # 438. Is there any reason not to
> redo it with 1 or 2 coats of west system and never do it again, as
> opposed to 4 or 5 coats of cetol, and another yearly?

This is a very uncommon case, but it applies to me, so I'll share it. If
you shrinkwrap the boat for the winter, use oil/sealant. Otherwise when
you take the heat gun to the shrink right near the toe rail, it will
strip the varnish, epoxy, cetol, or whatever nice shiny coat you've laid
down.

Cheers,
Kris

--