[Public-List] soylent stay or baby stay which is best setup for a storm sail

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Thu Nov 4 13:51:22 PDT 2010

Hello -

I'm sure others will chime in....

The Solent Stay system is a handy way for big boats to carry two headsails
and have them available without any sail changing required.   A
characteristic of this system is that the inner sail is usually the smaller
one and the only one that you can perform tacks with in the normal manner.

If you have the outer sail set, you have to roll it up, make your tack, then
unroll it when you get going again.

Are you sure you want to get into that?   A high clewed smallish genoa is a
pretty good all round sail for blue water work....  I think a baby stay
which can take a bullet proof spitfire jib (small, heavy, high clewed) is
more useful.   It also gives you something solid to grab when you go
forward, not an inconsiderable benefit.

We intend (some day) to use our integral water tank forward as a basin into
which to fit a flexible tank.

For anodized aluminium toe rail extrusions, try South Shore Yachts Toll-free
866-628-4080

They had a lot of ex-C&C yachts gear including their very good toe rail
extrusion, and may still have some.

Gord #426 SURPRISE