[Public-List] Diesel conversion

laughing_gull at verizon.net laughing_gull at verizon.net
Thu Nov 11 10:05:52 PST 2010

Or chasing belligerent crabbers!

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Lehman <sail_505 at hotmail.com>
Sender: public-list-bounces at lists.alberg30.orgDate: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 09:30:37
To: Alberg 30 Public List -- open to all<public-list at lists.alberg30.org>
Subject: Re: [Public-List] Diesel conversion

I also converted to diesel a number of years ago (can it be 15 years ago?). I chose a Unviersal M4-30 (4 cylinder 30 HP). Talk about overkill! Not really, there have been many times that I have been happy to have the extra power. This engine was chosen for different reasons. My original intent was for a 3 cylinder 18HP (which I think is a ideal coversion), but I could not find one that match the mounts on my A30 which would neccesitate serious surgery to install. The M4-30 has all of the same critical dimensions as the Atomic 4 and weighs about 40 pound less. Just because you have 30Hp with lots of torque from a diesel doesn't mean you have to use it all of the time. The engine is quiet, smooth and burns about 1/2 gallon per hour. Then when you need to tow another boat, move a raft, extract yourself (or someone else) from a grounding or fight large waves, currents and headwinds in tight waters...you have the power to do that. Then of course there is always wather skiing behind an A30! :-)

Mike Lehman