[Public-List] Waste holding tank - Vetus hose barb, not bard

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Wed Nov 17 05:45:10 PST 2010

Vetus hose barb, not bard

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Birch" <Sunstone at cogeco.ca>
To: "Alberg 30 Public List -- open to all" <public-list at lists.alberg30.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 8:41 AM
Subject: Re: [Public-List] Waste holding tank

Morning Mike,

I had that problem on Wind Rose A-30 544. The input hose barb was rotted out
likely from concentrated head chemical lodging there.

I ground off what was left of the alu barb and bought a Vetus plastic
bladder bard, made of heavy black plastic which is flanged and has a
tightening ring with sufficient thread. I was the same diameter.

I then had to grind flush (no pun here) the alu tank face. Then had to
reverse the grinding pad on the drill to grind inside the tank as the drill
would never fit in.

It took a while because you can put much pressure grinding this way or the
bit works loose.

I bedded it with Sikkens 241 ( now 291) and re-attached the hose.

I also re taped the breather connection because it is copper and the tank
alu. Used Teflon tape and a tiny amount to 241 on the male threads to ensure
there was no galvanic connection.

Don't put calk on the female threads as it might squeeze into the small dia
breather pipe and block it.

Worked fine for the 4 years after, that we kept the boat, before buying
Sunstone.

Have not heard any issues recurring since from her new owner, so I think the
fix was permanent.

Hope this helps.

Best

John (PS also go light on the head chemicals - I think they are the
corrosive culprit)