[Public-List] Advice on new sails?

Mark Stephenson mestephenson at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 20 07:05:51 PDT 2010

Hello all,
I recently acquired an Alberg 30 (from my father), and am looking forward to many years of sailing enjoyment with her in the Virgin Islands.  However, the sails are original (30 yrs. old) and I'd like to invest in new cloth.  The original sails were made by North, however they do not have a loft here.  Any comments on where to go for sails (we do have Quantum and Doyle here)?  Also, if any of you have done this recently, any advice on things to consider with regards to new sails for an A30?  Full batten main? 115% genoa? Foam luff for roller reefing? I intend to conform to the sizing requirements under class rules, just in case the boat ever finds her way to an A30 class event!

Regards,
Mark
Rubber Ducky II #645

Mark Stephenson