[Public-List] Re-wiring

David Terrell dterrell1 at charter.net
Tue Oct 5 06:26:45 PDT 2010

I rewired my boat and found the process one I could handle easily. I did
not come with a mechanical background, but have learned a lot with the
alberg. When I first purchased the boat, I installed DC and AC  and this
year anew engine harness I followed Moyer's directions but did not
purchase thier wire kit. I think that was probably a good decision. For
all the projects, I just read the directions and followed them and took
my time making sure I knew what I was doing. This year I added an AC
connection for the computer. Initially, I used soldered connections but
have since decided that crimped connections are better. One think I
found helpful was that after I had removed the old wiring, the boat was
wide open for the new wiring. The one thing that I would improve if I
could was the level of neatness at the DC Panel. I redid it this winter
when I replaced the engine harness, and it is neater than it was, but
there is still room for improvement there. Part of the problem is that I
have a large DC panel and that makes it harder to get a result like the
ones shown in the sailing magazines. I think doing the circuits one at a
time as suggested would help a lot. Based on my experience, the
suggestions have been outstanding.

Having done this job on two boats, my bottom line is that you can almost
certainly do this  yourself if you follow the directions and go slowly.
Keep the 6K in your pocket.

David, 432