[Public-List] Genoa downhaul

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Wed Oct 20 20:04:43 PDT 2010

Hugh,

On 10/20/10 7:19 PM, Hugh McCormack wrote:

> Good evening,
>
> George mentioned in a recent post that he uses a downhaul tied to the
> top hank on his genoa to allow for single handed sail handling so
> this question might best be answered by him.  However I am also
> interested in hearing if others are using genoa downhauls.
>
> What I am wondering is how the downhaul line is directed down to the
> foredeck and where it goes from there?  Does the line hang free from
> the top hank or is it led through other hanks on the way down?  Is it
> routed back to the cockpit or to the base of the mast?  In my case I
> envisage threading the downhaul through a block at the base of the
> forestay and then running the line back to the cockpit so that my
> crew can haul on the downhaul while I'm dealing with the halyard and
> the sail on the foredeck.

I tie a 1/4" line to the top hank between the sail and the opening that
goes around the forestay.  I've found this doesn't jam, but tying to the
head or to the opening itself can.

I weave the line between the sail and the forestay, between hanks, about
three or four times spaced along the luff of the sail.  At the stem
fitting, I have a block.  The downhaul goes through this, back through a
couple fairleads on the cabin top, to a cam cleat.

When I drop the sail, I pull the sheet tight, pop the jib halyard
clutch, and pull on the downhaul.  This keeps things pretty much under
control.  Later, when I have a chance, I neaten the folds and tie the
genoa to the lifeline with some small lines I keep tied there.

At anchor, the downhaul makes a great trip line for people crossing the
foredeck. ;-)

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org